Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sarah's new word, and budding candy addiction

I was standing at the kitchen counter the other day when Sarah came up to me.

"Mama? Mama? Emanem." Expectant look.

Emanem! I can add a new word to her scant and oddly selective repertoire: elbow, okay, me. This is the child who understands everything we say but doles out her own words like a miser parting with shiny new quarters. But she loooves food, and she knows I keep M&Ms in the cupboard (and, failing that, always a Costco-sized bag of chocolate chips).

I opened a brand-new bag of peanut butter M&Ms and gave her one. I figured I should encourage her in her attempts to verbalize her wants. And, you know, the look on your kid's face when you give her chocolate? Priceless.

2 comments:

Alan said...

That's really funny, because that is the same word I keep saying to Rebecca, but she pretends like she doesn't understand.
I think we all need a little encouragement to verbalize our wants...

the design boss said...

What a sweetie, it's so hard at that age where they think they are communicating but you really have no clue what they are saying you are just guessing. And sometimes you hit it right on the money and sometimes it ends in tears!
I know now what Alan wants! Thanks for the clarification!